Telegesis is a Participant Member of the Thread Group.
Thread was designed with one goal in mind: To create the very best way to connect and control products in the home.
Designed for consumers and devices in and around the home, Thread easily and securely connects hundreds of devices to each other and directly to the cloud using real Internet Protocols in a low-power, wireless mesh network. The non-profit Thread Group is focused on making Thread the foundation for the Internet of Things in the home, educating product developers and consumers on the unique features and benefits of Thread and ensuring a great user experience through rigorous, meaningful product certification. Thread is backed by industry-leading companies including ARM, Big Ass Fans, Freescale Semiconductor, Nest Labs, Samsung Electronics, Silicon Labs and Yale Security.
Thread solves reliability, security, power and compatibility issues for connecting products around the home. It enables product developers and consumers to easily and securely connect more than 250 devices to a low-power, IP-based wireless mesh network that also includes direct Internet and cloud access for every device. The Thread group has been developed to build a technology that uses and combines the best of what’s out there and create a networking protocol that can help the Internet of Things realize its potential for years to come.
In this way Thread technology fills a critical gap in the IoT ecosystem by providing the industry’s first standards-based, low-power mesh networking solution based on Internet protocol (IP), enabling reliable, secure and scalable Internet connectivity for battery-powered devices in the connected home.
Thread Protocol and Telegesis
Silicon Laboratories of Austin, Texas is a founder member of Thread Group and the current chair of the Group’s technical committee.
SiLabs has also been instrumental in defining and developing the Thread Protocol Stack.
Telegesis is a long standing partner of SiLabs and we use their technology exclusively in our ZigBee and Thread products. This puts us in a very strong position to offer immediate hardware solutions that can deliver Thread to designers and developers seeking to incorporate Thread into their products.
Telegesis makes module RF technology that is optimised for use with Thread right now.
Telegesis is an active Participant member of the Thread Group and will also be launching a Thread AT Command Interface later in 2015 to enable engineers and development teams to build Thread products without the need for embedded firmware expertise. This command interface will be offered on the ETRX358 module series to deliver a complete RF hardware and firmware solution for fast integration into Thread products.
For more on Thread visit The Thread Group
For more on Telegesis Thread hardware
For the latest on Telegesis Thread AT Command Interface Sign up to Telegesis Product News
For more on Silicon Labs Thread technology visit: www.silabs.com/thread
Thread Technology – Powerful Technology designed for the home
It’s a mesh network designed to securely an reliably connect hundreds of products around the home – without blowing through battery life.
- Designed specifically for the home
- Robust self-healing mesh network
- No single point of failure
- Interoperable by design using proven, open standards and IPv6 technology with 6LoWPAN as the foundation
- Requires just a software enhancement for today’s 802.15.4 products
All Thread networks are easy to set up and secure to use.
They use a smartphone-era authentication scheme and AES encryption to close security holes that exist in other wireless protocols.
- Simple installation using your smartphone, tablet or computer
- Scalable to connect 250+ devices into a single network supporting multiple hops
- Provides security at network and application layers
- Product install codes are used to ensure only authorized devices can join the network
- Supported by banking-class, public-key cryptography
Designed from the ground up to have extremely low power consumption.
Devices efficiently communicate to deliver a great user experience, yet still run for years on the smallest of batteries.
- Extensive support for sleepy nodes allows for years of operation, even on a single AA battery
- Based on the power efficient IEEE 802.15.4 MAC/PHY
- Short messaging conserves bandwidth and power
- Streamlined routing protocol reduces network overhead and latency
- Designed to run on readily available, low power wireless system-on-chips